The Natural Solution
Obesity Fact Sheet
- Worldwide obesity has nearly doubled since 1980.
- In 2008, more than 1.4 billion adults, 20 and older, were overweight. Of these over 200 million men and nearly 300 million women were obese.
- 35% of adults aged 20 and over were overweight in 2008, and 11% were obese.
- 65% of the world’s population live in countries where overweight and obesity kills more people than underweight.
- More than 40 million children under the age of five were overweight in 2011.
- Obesity is preventable.
*World Health Organization, Fact sheet No.311, March 2013
With the consumer focus on health and wellness, the concern over obesity and diabetes, the increasing use of natural and organic product solutions is here to stay. Stevia extracts with their wonderful characteristics of:
- derived from the plant stevia rebaudiana hence its natural status
- non-caloric and doesn’t affect glucose levels, an advantage for diabetics and hypoglycemics’
- no carbohydrates or fat
- pH stable
- heat stable
- 200-350 times sweeter than sugar
- it has no known side effects and has been safely consumed around the world for decades’
Stevia provides part of the solution for products to meet this demand and expand food and beverage companies portfolios of offerings.
Nearly half of all USA adults aged 18+ prefer food without artificial additives.
Stevia’s potential for acceptance among consumers is high with 42% of consumers saying they used more stevia in 2012 than in 2011.
The market is growing and the potential is great.
USA sugar substitute tabletop* success, stevia products are #2 with ~ 19% share, equating to over $100m in USA retail sales.
Two major $100 million + Brands:
- Sobe Life Water
- Trop 50
Recent moves in the market: (maybe scrolling slowly through these in a side window?)
In September 2012 Pepsi officially launched its Pepsi Next cola in Australia. In France, Pepsi Next has also been launched March 2013 also using stevia extract, like the Australian version.
Coca-Cola is test marketing stevia sweetened Fanta and Sprite “Select” in the USA
Following PepsiCo’s Q4 2012 earnings call, February 2013, in which CEO Indra Nooyi announced the company will lead the cola category via “disruptive innovation.” (update with recent article)
On March 6th, 2013 Coca-Cola in the United Kingdom announced is changing the formulation of Sprite.
In June 2013, Coca-Cola launched a new cola called Coca-Cola Life in Argentina.
How can Sweet Green Fields help create a great tasting reduced calorie natural sweetened product for your customers?
Our team solves customer challenges by providing the guidance and technical know-how to launch products.
- Powder table top sweeteners
- Liquid table top sweeteners
- Enhanced water and fitness water
- Juices and milk drinks
- Coffee and teas
- Carbonated soft drinks
- Flavored milk
- Ice cream and soft serve
- Frozen novelties
- Chewing gum
- Hard candies, mints, and gummies
- Muffin and cookie
- Popcorn, cereals, and cheese cake
- Ketchup, pasta and BBQ sauces