Some portions of the process are proprietary, but the major steps in the extraction involve:
- Water extraction (dried leaf is placed in warm water and the glycosides dissolve in the water).
- Pressing the wet leaf to squeeze out the sweet juices.
- Fine mesh filtration to separate leaf organic material and sweetened water.
- pH adjustment precipitates out bitter tasting organics from sweetened water.
- Proprietary filtration and extraction to isolate the desired glycosides.
- Drying the final product (evaporates liquids used in extraction).